Friday, March 17, 2017

New Head Coach Announced!!

Dear Parents, Students, Alumni, Fans:

For the last couple of years I had been personally struggling with the growing burden of a feeling that as much as I loved coaching, the time was coming that I needed to step away from the water polo program.  I had become stretched so thin between two businesses and my kids were getting older.  The program however continued to grow and succeed.  We were highly organized and I had tremendous help from parents and our coaches, but even so I felt as though I was beginning to drown and was struggling to keep up with the demands of running a popular and successful program like ours had become.  I had one major concern.  If I was to step down...Would we lose the momentum so many of us coaches and players had worked so hard to attain?  Our water polo program had truly become a family with so much history and great traditions, what would happen to this?  It couldn't be someone from outside.  An outsider might know water polo and love coaching kids, but they would not have any idea of the magic that has occurred in this program.  Who would continue this tradition?

Well, the answers to these questions and fears I had were answered...

It is with great excitement that I announce the hiring of Graham Evans as Head Coach of Carmel High School Water Polo.   I could not be leaving this program in better hands than Graham's!!! 

Coach Evans is first and foremost a Carmel High School alumni, but he has been a dedicated assistant for this program for over 10 years along with a few years coaching the girls program.  He becomes only the 7th head coach since Jim Agan started our program in 1968.  In those 49 years of Carmel High Water Polo, 4 out of the total 6 previous head coaches (including myself) coached 46 of those 49 total years.  6 of the 7 head coaches are Carmel High School Alumni (including Graham).  That's consistency.  That's tradition.  

Graham has been a vital piece of our coaching staff for a long time.  He knows water polo and knows coaching.  Most importantly however, I can personally attest to the character of Graham Evans.  Graham is a man of integrity.  He is a man that loves his family and leads it well.  He cares about kids and loves coaching water polo.  I have no doubt that he will employ all these great attributes and more as he dives head first into his new role as Head Coach.

With much love and gratitude in my heart (and some tears in my eyes)... I am officially "passing the torch" to Graham Evans.  I am genuinely excited to see what the next chapter has for this great program.  Under Graham's watchful eye and leadership, I am confident it will continue to thrive, succeed and most importantly continue to be an environment for personal growth, mentoring, and character building for the hardworking boys in our program.

Go Padres!!

Sincerely,

Aaron Gaily
Head Coach (1999, 2003-2016)

No comments: